8.21.2012

Piano Concerto No. 21 in C Major

Just taking a little breather from my research proposal, which is due tomorrow, but I'm only halfway done with. Well, three-fourths, maybe. But then again, I left the bloodiest parts out for last, so that I could do them in the quieter hours of the night. Strangely enough, I am trying to listen actually listening to classical, Mozart-y music, desperately trying to get my IQ level to go up even just a little. Just enough for me to survive this research paper, the Math long test on Thursday, and the Math midterms on Friday. Which isn't asking much, really.

Well, there's nothing I can really talk about right now that won't sound like I'm spilling s*&% out of my brain... so instead, here's a little inspirational thing I stumbled upon. It was written by my fourth year math teacher specifically for us, her little math nerd of a class. It's nostalgia and inspiration at its best:

My Dearest Math Geniuses, 
If there is one thought I had at the end of our regular meetings (I know I wasn't there, forgive me --- for the nth time), it was, time does fly whenever one is having fun. At the beginning of the year, I did not expect I would be thinking something along those lines. After all, I have always claimed that H4 Math would not be easy, but you would learn. 
The goal has always been to impart something to all of you. So it was a very pleasant surprise to find myself looking forward to our meetings. I mean, I look forward to each meeting because it's a chance to share wonderful math concepts, but because each of you contributed so much into making sure that you learned something everyday, and each of you went out of your way to produce interesting solutions and generalizations.  
Add to that your infinite patience in enduring my math nerd tendencies and "interesting" examples (not to mention quizzes), and I was truly enamored by your class.
Galileo Galilei once said, "The universe cannot be read until we have learnt the language and become familiar with the characters in which it is written. It is written in mathematical language, and the letters are triangles, circles and other geometrical figures, without which means it is humanly impossible to comprehend a single word. With them, one is wandering about in a dark labyrinth." 
When Galileo wrote these words ages ago, they were particularly about geometry, but I think that he was able to touch what mathematics is all about. Mathematics is a tool used to solve problems. Sometimes the problems are direct, like the ones we've discussed in class about functions, or volume problems, et cetera. Sometimes, however, it is the skills or practices we have learned in mathematics that helps us solve problems --- thinking logically, exhausting all means to solve something, spotting errors and the like.  
I might have always been going about telling you how wonderful math is, and how interesting the patterns we see in mathematics are, but at the end of the school year, it is my fervent hope that I have, at the very least, imparted ways in which you can be better thinkers and problem solvers.  
Our world needs people who go out there and try to solve problems; it is my firm belief that no matter where your passion lies, you can be good thinkers and great problem solvers.
You all are talented, that much I am sure of. Your path may not be leaning towards the wonderful world of mathematics (hahaha!), but I know that you each have the capability to go out there and contribute in solving our world's problems. That may not happen in the near future, but it is my belief that you will each change the world for the better.  
Know that each one of you is in my prayers. I wish you all joy wherever life leads you, perseverance for whatever challenges you might face, and the courage to excel in whatever mathematics course you may encounter in college. ;) Never forget that your brains are the best things you can offer to the world, and that it would be a wonderful thing to share what you have (intellectually or otherwise) to those around you.  
I shall miss you all, and I shall always remain your nerdy math teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment